Clinical Rotation - Walla Walla
Fitness/recreation areas available in the region:
- Biking/Running Club
- Camping – Columbia and Snake Rivers
- Wine tasting
- Local live theatres/symphony
This is a college town, so during the school year, rentals can be difficult to find.
Choice Property Management: http://www.wallaliving.com/
Union Bulletin: http://classifieds.union-bulletin.com/wallawalla/rentals/search
Length of time region has been training with PNWU students:
Since July 2013
4th year electives that have been successful in this region depending on availability:
Number of preceptors credentialed with PNWU to teach CORE rotations: 26
D.O. preceptors in the region (approx.): 8
M.D. preceptors in the region (approx.): 18
Rotations that may provide inpatient experience:
- Emergency Medicine
- Internal Medicine
- Women’s Health
Rotation challenges in the region based on availability:
Do students/learners from other schools rotate in the region?
Is there integration of other schools with PNWU students?
Yes - Nursing students, PharmD students, PA students, and sometimes medical students from other schools will be at the same teaching location.
Residencies available in the region that PNWU students are involved in (didactics, rotations, etc.):
Opportunities to practice OMM:
Occasionally as permitted by the preceptor.
Didactics are held every Thursday afternoon from 2-5 or 6 PM. Didactics include:
- Case presentations by students
- Guest lectures with physicians
- OSCE prep
- COMLEX prep
- Formal Case Presentations by students each month
- Medical topic lectures and case study review
- Hands on sessions (i.e. suture/knot tying, casting, High performance CPR, etc)
- Portfolio development
Other learning opportunities in addition to PNWU didactics include:
- Journal Club once a month from September - May
- Friday noon lectures
Core (3rd year) rotations available within driving distance (1 hour or 50 miles) of the didactics site? Most. Rotations are completed at any of the following locations: Providence St. Mary Medical Center, Walla Walla Clinic, WA State Penitentiary, Yakima Family Farm Workers Clinic – Family Medical Center, Walla Walla VAMC, Dayton General Hospital, CHI St. Anthony Hospital (Pendleton), Tri-State Memorial Hospital (Clarkston), Valley Medical Center/St. Joseph Regional Hospital (Lewiston)
- Enthusiastic and dedicated team of preceptors, RAD and RSA
- Active monthly Journal Club
Why might a student choose this region over another?
- Small town community – no traffic!
- Friendly touristy/college town vibe>
- Personalized learning
- Enthusiastic preceptors
- Rural medicine opportunities
- Unique rotation opportunity at the WA State Penitentiary
Number of OMS3 Students Rotating in Region: 8
Number of OMS4 Students Rotating in Region: 8
Alumni in Residency Programs (Washington totals): 152
Alumni practicing in the regions (Washington totals): 86
% of PNWU-COM matriculations from regions (Washington totals): 50%
Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions!