Effective communication is critial for teaching and learning, and ommunicating expectations to learners, breaking down barriers to learning, and maintaining a safe and suppportive learning environment are important parts of the process.
Goal is to teach and communicate effectively. Specific competencies within this domain include:
- Clearly communicate expectations to the learner
- Tailor precepting style to the needs of the learner
- Identify barriers to learning
- Maintain a safe learning environment for the student (ie. approachable, supportive, encouraging, self-aware)
- One-Minute Learner model
- Drs. Hofmann and Cohen-Osher have developed a model to frame the initial conversations between preceptor and student
- This conversation is engineered to improve communication and enhance satisfaction of both parties as a student becomes familiar with the specific clinical environment for each new rotation.
- One-Minute Learner Article
- Diversity and inclusion information