Hitting the Slopes for PNWU Ski Day 2023

As she searched for medical schools to apply to, PNWU Student Doctor Angie Maxson was seeking a few standout qualities. A good graduate education program, of course, with an inspiring mission, welcoming peers, supportive staff and faculty, etc. Those were all great… but what she really wanted was the ability to drive to a ski hill in under an hour.

“Being outside and in nature is how I refill my cup,” Maxson explained. “Yakima and the surrounding areas have much to offer in terms of outdoor activities.”

Slated to graduate as a Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine with PNWU-COM’s Class of 2023 in less than two months, Student Doctor Maxson had committed to “doing all the fun things” in her final days at PNWU. Sure, past scheduling conflicts had stood between her and Ski Day, but this year?

“I’ve finished all requirements for medical school, and my kids are on spring break!” she exclaimed. “We took advantage of the opportunity, and it was a blast!”

Student Doctor Maxson was just one of 25 people to hit the slopes (and/or lodge) for PNWU Ski Day 2023. The annual event, organized by PNWU Alumni Services Coordinator Chanda Anderson, invited PNWU Alumni, current students, faculty and staff (and even a Simulated Patient (SP)) from the University’s various health sciences programs to meet at 4.5K-feet for a day at White Pass Ski Area, located about 55 miles from PNWU’s campus.

“It was a very successful day,” said Anderson, adding that short lift lines and freshly fallen powder – White Pass got around 10-inches of snow in the days leading up to the gathering – were just icing on an already great morning with great company. “We’re already looking forward to hosting PNWU Ski Day next year!”

“It was great to see folks that I know, and it was fun to meet new people,” added Student Doctor Maxson. “Medical school is tough, and I believe that it is important to foster interests outside of medicine and to encourage our students, staff, and faculty to get together outside of what brings us all together – PNWU. I want to thank Chanda Anderson for hosting this event and bringing us all together!”