“My Dream Job:” PNWU Students Achieve Perfect Military Match

All seven of PNWU’s enlisted fourth-year Osteopathic Medical Students were selected for their first-choice residency programs, clearing the way for them to continue fulfilling their long-term service aspirations.

Each March, thousands of fourth-year medical students showcase their highest qualities as they apply for the residency positions of their dreams. For medical students enlisted in the military, that pulse-accelerating residency match process occurs this month. Thankfully, for PNWU’s military medicine students, any increased heart rates can be attributed to excitement and joy this holiday season, as all seven of our fourth-year military representatives matched into their first residency choices.

“I am extremely proud of all this year’s military match participants,” exclaimed Chanda Anderson, PNWU’s alumni services coordinator. “They all worked extremely hard, and it paid off for them.”

The following PNWU Osteopathic Medical Students were selected for their first-choice residency programs (also listed):

• Austin Sisneros, Army, Family Medicine, Darnall Army Medical Center, Fort Hood, TX
  • Laura Roberson, Navy, Surgery, Naval Medical Center, San Diego, CA
  • Kat Lundeberg, Air Force, OBGYN, Wright Patterson AFB, Dayton, OH
  • Mauna Edrozo, Air Force, Family Medicine, Offutt AFB, Omaha, NE
  • Katie Heiss, Navy, Psychiatry, Naval Medical Center, Portsmouth, VA
  • Ashton Dyck, Navy, Family Medicine, Naval Medical Center, Camp Lejeune, NC
  • Haley Heitzman, Navy, Family Medicine, Camp Pendleton, San Diego, CA

“I consoled with several of them during the match process,” Anderson explained, “and although it was a bit of a roller coaster ride of emotions, all of it was worth it for them in the end. I can’t wait to see the results of the rest of this year’s class during National Resident Matching Program (NRMP) in March.”

“First-generation, woman, colored, and proud of it,” said Student Doctor Laura Roberson, reflecting on the match. “I was raised by a housekeeper and a truck driver who taught me to wake up early to work, remember my roots, and that being ‘rich’ means being filled with love, kindness, and knowledge. I’m grateful for every individual I’ve met along the way. From teaching at disadvantaged high schools to being PNWU’s Executive President, and now sitting on a COCA committee, I’ve endured immense professional and personal growth that has helped me land my dream job as a US Navy general surgeon. Thank you, family, friends, and my husband who encourages me, calms me, and complements my being.”