Family Medicine Residency Network Collaboration
In 2015 Pacific Northwest University and WWAMI Family Medicine Residency Network (FMRN) formed a collaborative to assist residencies within the Network with ACGME osteopathic recognition and support the AOA residency programs with the single accreditation process.
The Osteopathic educational workshops listed below are a direct result of this collaboration.
- OMM Fundamentals Workshop, is a full day, hands on workshop designed for MDs matriculating into ACGME residency programs with Osteopathic Recognition and MD/DOs precepting osteopathic learners that introduces basic concepts and techniques associated with Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine.
- Osteopathic Principles and Practice Introductory Workshop is the initial 4 hour, hands on workshop that discusses the history and philosophy of osteopathic principles and teaches basic introduction to the six primary osteopathic techniques.
- Management of Low Back Pain using OMT, 3 hour workshop on lower back pain evaluation, identifying somatic dysfunction and performing direct and indirect osteopathic techniques to treat low back pain.
- Treatment of Headaches, Neck Pain and TMJ using OMT, 3 hour workshop that evaluates and identifies the source of the pain and teaches various osteopathic treatment techniques to treat the different sources of pain.
- OMT in Prenatal Care, 3 hour workshop that identifies somatic dysfunction associated with pregnancy and introduces osteopathic techniques used to alleviate those complaints.
- Hospital Based OMT, 3 hour workshop that focuses on inpatient evaluation for OMT, identifying somatic dysfunction associated with hospital patients and introduces osteopathic techniques used to alleviate those complaints and reduce inpatient time.
These workshops are interactive, hands-on educational activities that incorporate kinesthetic learning, lecture and small group work at OMT tables. The workshops are aimed at residency program faculty, allopathic/osteopathic residents, osteopathic preceptors so that they may develop or refresh individual skills in OPP modalities and improve competencies as educators who supervise residents that practice OPP in patient care settings.
Exploring the next step in your medical journey by looking at different residency programs? Check out the WWAMI Family Medicine Residency programs in the Residency Spotlight.
For more information, please contact Michelle Chadek, MS.