Black History Month

Warmth, Belonging, and Pride

PNWU students collaborate with the University’s Office of Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging (ODEIB) to celebrate Black History Month at PNWU.

In honor of the rich history, accomplishments, and contributions of Black individuals throughout the world, PNWU’s Office of Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging (ODEIB) is thrilled to celebrate Black History Month (BHM) this February.

With the support of PNWU students, the office recently released a special edition of their newsletter, shedding light on the remarkable stories, events, and initiatives that highlight the importance of diversity, inclusion, and belonging, and showcasing a collection of local BHM-related volunteering and educational opportunities throughout the month.

Black History Month events at PNWU

“I haven’t had an opportunity like this in the past,” said Student Doctor Chido Chikwava, PNWU-COM Class of 2026, who eagerly signed on to help promote Black History Month at PNWU. Growing up, Student Dr. Chikwava’s family was the only Black family in her community, and she the only Black student in her schools.

“I wasn’t comfortable celebrating myself and the people who came before me during this time,” explained Student Dr. Chikwava. “I look forward to BHM every year, as it provides me with a sense of warmth, belonging, and pride; but this was never something people around me encouraged me to feel.” When she heard of plans to celebrate Black history at PNWU, she quickly signed on to be a voice bringing Black History Month to the forefront of her community.

Alongside her classmates, including ODEIB Student Ambassador Pelumi Ajibade, PNWU-COM Class of ’26, Student Dr. Chikwava is helping the University host a series of events throughout the month, which aim to provide a sense of acknowledgment and belonging to current Black students, as well as those interested in attending PNWU in the future.  

On February 21, PNWU will host a Grand Rounds led by Associate Professor of Pathology Dr. Debra Callahan, a distinguished figure in transfusion medicine. A Cultural Night and Panel is also set to take place on campus February 29.

“I look forward to BHM every year, as it provides me with a sense of warmth, belonging, and pride.”

“The importance of this extends outside of the PNWU walls,” Chikwava explained, “as it further promotes representation in the medical field, something that is especially important for our future Black patients.”   

“I hope people are able to better understand the importance of Black History Month and why we feel it needs to be celebrated,” said Student Dr. Chikwava. “It is so important to educate ourselves on the cultures of others, as it promotes understanding and acknowledgement of the struggles we may not relate to. I hope our efforts help to allow all people, regardless of their race, to continue showing empathy and appreciation of Black culture and, more importantly, Black people.”