Student Doctor Sadie Walter, OMS III, Named PNWU’s Student Researcher of the Year

Student Doctor Sadie Walter, OMS III, was recently named PNWU’s Student Researcher of the Year (SROY). The honor reflects her award-winning radiology research, which includes a summer internship with the University of California, San Francisco’s (UCSF’s) Department of Radiology and Biomedical Imaging. Student Doctor Walter will now represent PNWU as a candidate for the National Student Researcher Award.

In her now-published research, Student Doctor Walter analyzed resting state fMRIs (Functional magnetic resonance images) – which measure brain activity by detecting changes associated with blood flow – to see the effects of functional connectivity across common brain networks. Magnetic resonance metrics representing brain network connectivity and variability were found to correlate with risk factors for cognitive decline and cerebral microbleed burden, thereby representing promising candidate imaging biomarkers for the monitoring of long-term cognitive deficits and disorders.

Today, Student Doctor Walter’s research continues alongside Dr. Wade Justice, assistant professor of clinical medicine, on a large-scale analysis of the epidemiology of diaphragmatic eventration – a thinning of a portion or all of the diaphragm where muscle has been replaced by fibroelastic tissue – in chest radiographs.

Following the announcement of her award, we connected with Student Doctor Walter to discuss her passion-driven research, her perspectives on success, and the inspiring journey that has led her to this point.

This award places you at the top of a group of talented fellow PNWU researchers. How does it feel to achieve such a prestigious honor?

After achieving this honor, I find myself reflecting on all that I am grateful for.

I’m grateful that my work was recognized even in the face of such brilliant competition.

I’m grateful for the opportunity to represent women, medical students, and DOs in academic research, especially at an institution with a radiology program ranked number-one in both reputation and research output for the past nine years.

Lastly, I am exceptionally grateful for my wonderful research mentor, Dr. Melanie Morrison of UCSF. I would not be receiving this award without her endless support, encouragement, and continued enthusiasm in sharing her immeasurable knowledge with me.

How did you find out you won, and what was your reaction to the news?

Ironically, the winner was announced during one of those overwhelming weeks when my unread emails were piling up, so I didn’t see it right away. I was puzzled as to why I was being congratulated by a bunch of my classmates, but I obviously found out once I checked my email and saw that I won.

I was surprised and appreciative that I was chosen, and proud of myself for winning such an honorable award.

Your research on fMRIs and diaphragmatic eventration sounds fascinating and passion driven. Can you tell us a bit more about the work you’ve done/continue to do, and the inspirations behind that work?

Radiology has remained my chosen specialty for more than a decade. Anyone familiar with me knows how eager I am to become a bone-fairy and work in the dark cave that some call the reading room. Lifestyle aside, radiology itself has been a long-standing passion of mine.

My work with UCSF involved analyzing how objective measures derived from functional MRIs of the brain may have the potential to be used in the management of various neuropsychiatric conditions such as OCD and Parkinson’s disease. Given that mental health advocacy is also a well-known personal interest of mine, working with Dr. Morrison on this project was a perfect fit. We plan to collaborate on another project in late 2023/early 2024, and I couldn’t be more excited.

I am currently working on a project with my treasured colleagues Dr. Wade Justice; Lena LeCompte, OMS II; and Jocelyn Larsen, OMS III; involving a large-scale chest x-ray analysis to investigate the true incidence of diaphragmatic eventration – a condition often reported as rare, but without published epidemiological data.

Although this project is markedly different from my neuroradiology work, they are both equally rewarding, as they both involve novel research that reinforces the infinite potential that radiology offers.

Dr. Justice is, of course, a pleasure to work with, and I strive to emulate his ambition, knowledge, and kindness in my journey toward becoming a clinician.

How do you hope your research will impact the lives of others?

The brain is frustratingly one of the few organs without clinically objective measures to assess its function and aid in diagnostics. Now that I am acquainted with the boundless potential of

integrating advanced imaging and psychiatry, I am inspired to pursue sub-specialization in neuroradiology with hopes to continue my involvement in neuroimaging research.

When you considered pursuing a health sciences education, did you anticipate this sort of success? Why or why not, for those who may be considering a similar pursuit of research/higher education/impactful work in general?

Success is relative.

When I was young, others set a low bar for me to be successful. Given the environment of complex trauma, poverty, and lack of support throughout my childhood, I was beating significant odds by simply making it to adulthood without dying, being incarcerated, or developing a substance use disorder. In fact, I was explicitly discouraged from pursuing medicine by my premed advisor due to their lack of faith in my success.

Despite these challenges, I developed my own definition of success beyond simple survival. I established a goal of doing what it took to attend medical school to become a radiologist while refusing to settle for less. Fortunately, each person that recommended I slow my roll and pursue a more “realistic” career served as motivation for me to succeed in proving them wrong.

“Despite these challenges, I developed my own definition of success beyond simple survival. I established a goal of doing what it took to attend medical school to become a radiologist while refusing to settle for less.”

While I certainly did not anticipate that I would be granted the privilege to participate in such impactful and large-scale research, determining my own definition of success irrespective of outsider opinion helped me achieve it, along with the motivation from the haters. My advice to not only those pursuing medicine, but everyone, is to recognize that “success” is fluid and looks different for everyone, but the only definition that matters is your own. For those who can’t imagine being “good enough” for a particular specialty, for medicine in general, or for ANY achievement for that matter: I’ve been there. If I can do it, you absolutely can.

What do you hope to accomplish as a result of these experiences and opportunities?

I hope that everyone reading this will formulate their own personal definition of success while consistently reminding themselves of their limitless potential. Additionally, I hope to serve as a source of support for anyone who may need help or encouragement in getting there.

Anything else you’d hope to see reflected in this highlight of your noteworthy award?

I would like to recognize and thank Dr. Matt Bucknor, the program director of the UCSF Research Initiative to Promote Diversity in Radiology (RIDR) program for creating such an impactful opportunity for so many medical and pre-medical students such as myself that would otherwise have significant difficulty accessing research, mentorship, and support.

I would also again like to recognize Dr. Morrison and her unique dedication to increasing opportunities for underrepresented groups in medicine. These values are unfortunately seldom encountered in medical culture, but the support I have received on this endeavor has made me hopeful for the future.

Lastly, I would like to thank Dr. Selski for serving as my mentor with infinite encouragement during my time at PNWU and graciously providing me with recommendations for both the RIDR program and the SROY Award with such patience and promptitude.