Student Doctor Andy Shang, OMS II, Named PNWU Student Doctor of the Year

PNWU Student Doctor Andy Shang, OMS II, has been named PNWU’s 2023 Student Doctor of the Year. Selected from a deep and accomplished applicant pool, he will now represent PNWU on the national stage as he vies for the title of National Student Doctor of the Year.

After learning of his selection from a friend, Student Dr. Shang admits that he was shocked by the news, and hesitant to accept the nomination.

“There are so many amazing and accomplished students here at PNWU,” explained Shang. “Imposter syndrome is something I believe all medical students experience, and I definitely felt it very strongly that day.”

After processing the news, he accepted the honor as a reflection of the incredible support system that fuels his ongoing efforts. As a non-traditional medical student and a graduate of the MAMS (Master of Arts in Medical Sciences) program, he hopes his award will show other aspiring physicians that the past does not define them; by staying true to themselves, and with the right community, their greatest aspirations are within reach.

“I wouldn’t be here without the support of my wife and a group of incredible friends and colleagues,” he said. Having said “yes” to the many opportunities offered to him throughout his time at PNWU, Shang credits his success to the faculty, staff, and community that have allowed him to contribute to the University’s mission. “Service is ingrained in the culture at PNWU, so it is second nature for students to step outside of the classroom and explore their passions.”

“I am very honored to represent PNWU at the national level, and hope my application demonstrates PNWU’s commitment to rural and underserved medicine while highlighting our strengths in service, leadership, and political advocacy,” said Shang.

Immersing himself in the unique programs offered by PNWU, including Roots to Wings, the annual Week of Service, the University’s partnerships with Union Gospel Mission and Yakima School District, and student government, Shang has harnessed the comprehensive osteopathic learning environment of PNWU, where a strong sense of mission serves as motivation to seek out and address the needs of rural and underserved communities. With the support of world-class faculty and mission-inspired curriculum, he has enjoyed the freedom to pursue extracurricular interests.

Following his pre-clinical years, Student Dr. Shang will spend his third year in Omak, WA, at a Critical Access Hospital and Federally Qualified Health Center. He hopes the experiences there will deepen his understanding of the challenges facing rural healthcare.

“PNWU’s support of students is apparent at all levels,” Shang explained. “The collaborative and diverse culture of my class along with the incorporation of interprofessional education has inspired a growing curiosity of how to improve team-based delivery of care. PNWU has stoked my interest in rural medicine even more, and I plan to explore ways of building resilient healthcare systems that can deliver personalized care in resource constrained communities.”

Honorable mention for PNWU’s Student Doctor of the Year Award went to Student Doctor Lekaa Elhajjmoussa, OMS III.

“I would like to thank committee chair, Student Doctor Christina Ed, and the selection committee for their dedicated efforts in selecting Andy and Lekaa for this honor,” said Dr. PNWU-COM Dean Thomas Scandalis, in a statement promoting the award. “We will be well represented at the national level.”

“At its core, I believe healthcare is about the personal connection,” Shang explained. “I am dedicated to helping those around me with the resources I have at my disposal. But accolades are a nice cherry on top of the sundae of seeing others succeed.”