PNWU Student Doctor Breeana Wade Elected First Secretary-Treasurer of the ACOI’s Student Osteopathic Internal Medicine Association

The American College of Osteopathic Internists (ACOI) recently elected PNWU Student Doctor Breeana Wade, OMS II, as the first Secretary-Treasurer of their newly-formed Student Osteopathic Internal Medicine Association (SOIMA).

In her role with the national professional organization, Student Doctor Wade will work to increase connection and communications amongst chapters across the country, ensuring that students from more than 38 accredited colleges of osteopathic medicine – located at 62 locations in 35 states – are aware of all the resources available to them, and have the opportunity and resources to gather and work together through one shared community for the provision of information on training and career opportunities in internal medicine.

Reflecting on the honor, Student Doctor Wade insisted that her inspirations can be summed up with two words: Dr. Baldwin.

“It was Dr. Baldwin that calmed and quieted the part of my mind screaming on day one of first-year orientation that I was making a mistake attending PNWU,” explained Wade. “He inspired the feeling of membership into the family of PNWU by calling me ‘colleague’ or ‘doctor’ while passing in the hall; he kindled the passion for the most adorable beans in the human being during renal; he told me to take advantage of the free student membership at ACOI while highlighting the family feel of the organization.”

After pouring over available information on the mission, values and principles of ACOI, Wade began researching how the organization lived out those values, watching talks from members and reviewing materials intended to support students. Convinced that the ACOI truly stood by its principles in encouraging the best qualities of those involved, she decided to step up and get involved.

“ACOI wants to support students as we develop into compassionate osteopathic physicians,” she insisted. “In my short time of interacting with them, I wholeheartedly believe their actions are showing their dedication to students are not just empty words.”

In addition to Dr. Baldwin’s invaluable encouragement, Wade credits her friend and fellow second-year student Elena LeCompte, president of PNWU’s Internal Medicine Club, for playing an instrumental role in the election. “Elena shared the information about the opportunity and worked diligently to convince me to run as a candidate,” Wade said. “In the end, it was ACOI that won me over and made me proud to be a member.”

“I am not the most confident person,” admitted Wade. “There is a definite lack of swagger in my step, but I was prepared for this opportunity by the supportive community of PNWU. Without the challenge of the teaching faculty, the encouragement of the support staff, and the fellowship of the student body, I would not have been able to even consider running for such a position. Not to say there hasn’t been some growing pains or oh so many tears, but I have and will continue to develop into a better person thanks to PNWU.”

As the SOIMA’s first Secretary-Treasurer, Wade hopes to pass that encouragement on to as many other students as possible, and encourages her peers to consider taking advantage of the student membership of ACOI.

“Our years as students can be a challenge, and even isolating, with so many demands on our time and energy that we might feel like a fraction of a human,” she said. “I want help remind students that they were called; that medicine is a calling and a passion, and when it is hard, or we feel disconnected or overwhelmed, we need to remember our passion.”