Polly Wiltz Elected as SOMA’s National Board Director of Community Outreach

Polly Wiltz, PNWU OMS III, was recently elected to serve as the National Board Director of Community Outreach for the Student Osteopathic Medical Association (SOMA). SOMA, the nation’s largest network of osteopathic medical students, is an American Osteopathic Association (AOA)-affiliated, student-led and student-driven organization with direct representation to the AOA.

“Volunteerism and advocacy are my two biggest passions,” said Wiltz. “I very much look forward in blending those passions together as I take on this new role.”

As SOMA’s National Board Director of Community Outreach, Wiltz is tasked with leading SOMA’s Opioid and Overdose Prevention Task Force, the Human Trafficking Campaign partnered with SNMA, major SOMA outreach events, and more. “The beauty of the Community Outreach position is that the sky is the limit,” explained Wiltz, “so I have a lot of room to expand upon existing projects and start new projects that I am personally passionate about.”

Wiltz first became involved with SOMA at the beginning of her third year at PNWU, when she decided to apply to group’s Political Affairs Task Force to gain more experience in resolution writing. As one of the lead authors on a resolution addressing police brutality, she was invited to attend to SOMA’s fall House of Delegates event to defend the resolution, which went on to pass unanimously. Following the impressive offering, SOMA’s outgoing Political Affairs Director encouraged her to think about applying for a National Board Director Position.

“I hope that this new position brings new visibility to SOMA on our campus and encourages more students to get involved,” Wiltz said. “I wish I had known more about SOMA when I was a first year, because there are so many opportunities to get involved. There is a project for almost every interest, and if a project doesn’t exist, it won’t take long to find a group of like-minded students to get an idea of the ground and into action. Learning to write resolutions, how to advocate to our state congresspeople and senators, how to engage the community on a topic we are passionate about, and how to be a strong leader in medicine are skills one can achieve in their involvement through this organization.”