PNWU Succeeds in Military Match for Residency Programs

Each spring, medical students from PNWU and across the nation anxiously await the residency match event, which provides vital information about where each will continue their medical training. However, the medical students who are also serving in the military find out a few weeks sooner than their classmates. On January 6, 2021, all five applying PNWU commissioned officers matched to a program, producing another 100% military match rate.

The five PNWU students who matched were: Sam Billingslea, in Emergency Medicine at the Naval Medical Center San Diego (NMCSD) in San Diego, CA; Christina Ryan, in Internal Medicine at Madigan Army Medical Center at Joint Fort Lewis-McCord in Western Washington; Elaine Corpuz, in Internal Medicine at San Antonio Military Medical Center (SAMMC) In San Antonio, TX; JP Andrews, Civilian deferred, {meaning he will participate in regular match and then do his military duty after residency}; and, Alicia Latta, in Internal Medicine at Wright Patterson Air Force Base Dayton, OH.

In her time at PNWU, student doctor Latta has served as a Roots to Wings Mentor, a Student Ambassador, the president of the Student Association of Military Osteopathic Physicians and Surgeons (SAMOPS), and much more. Today, she is eager to start the next chapter of her career.

“I’m excited to be heading to Wright Patterson Air Force base this coming summer to start residency in my chosen specialty,” Latta exclaimed. “I first fell in love with Dayton, Ohio, when I spent some time training there the summer before second year. It completely won me over when I had the opportunity to work with the amazing residents and attending on base this past fall.”

Dr. Marc G. Cote, Assistant Dean for Clinical Education at PNWU said, “I want to convey my congratulations to PNWU’s HPSP (Health Professions Scholarship Program) students who were recently selected for military residencies. I can imagine your joy as I reflect about the joy I experienced when I was selected for a military residency many years ago. Your selection in a military residency is a testimony to your hard work, professionalism, and military bearing.”

Student doctor Latta, a Second Lieutenant in the United States Air Force, loves what she already knows about her new residency program. She said, “The program reminds me of all the things I love about PNWU: a supportive family-like community, where my success and the success of my fellow residents genuinely matters to everyone. It is a surreal feeling to have matched, but it is humbling to know that I will be treating the selfless men and women who have or are currently serving our country in the armed forces.

Cote, D.O., FACOI, FACP, a professor of Internal Medicine and retired US Army Colonel, went on to say to all of the PNWU military students: “You will join a long line of Osteopathic physicians who trained and served in the military. I know that all of you will excel and continue the proud tradition of the military Osteopathic physicians who went before you. It is a privilege to have contributed to your early medical education.”

The military match is similar to the civilian match program in March in that students rank their top three programs, are chosen based on a point system based on board test scores, letters of recommendations and grades from preceptors in students’ rotation sites. The students from PNWU proudly represent all branches of the service this year.