Paying for school may be one of the most daunting challenges facing you today, but should not deter you from achieving your goals. The tips below are meant to assist you with identifying your costs, help with budgeting, provide ideas on how to pay without going deeper into debt, and how to make the best decisions when it comes to borrowing.
- Reduce or eliminate personal debt before starting medical school
- Establish a household budget and stick to it
- Know what costs you will incur
- Identify community resources
- Look for scholarships and other ways to pay
- Review financial literacy resources
- To access federal student loans, complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- Experiment with the federal “loan repayment calculator” —you might find it helpful to put in some figures and see what monthly payments will look like after you graduate
- Review the Federal Student Aid website for comprehensive details about federal loans, such as repayment options, loan repayment calculators, loan forgiveness, etc.
- College Preparation Checklist
- Federal Student Aid
- Federal Student Aid YouTube Channel: View videos on student financial aid, including understanding the financial aid process, applying for aid, borrowing responsibly, repaying your federal student loan(s), and more.
- Funding Education Beyond High School
- Funding Your Education: The Guide to Federal Student Aid
- Health Resources and Services Administration
- Higher Education Act (HEA)
Investigate Loan Repayment Assistance Programs in Return for Services That Are Available After You Graduate
It is important to know what resources are available in your community and where to get good deals. The links below will assist you in finding local food banks, energy assistance, housing assistance, child care, etc. Be sure to also check with your church and talk to other PNWU students. Carpool to the grocery store and divide up big-box items (such as Costco). Clip coupons and share with other students. Get creative—it will pay off!
If you know of a great resource and would like to have it added to this site, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- People for People Compilation of Community Resources
- Salvation Army Family Services
- Online Coupons
- Printable grocery coupons
- ShopAtHome buffet coupons, cash back, and deals
- Northwest Harvest food banks and meal programs
- Opportunities Industrialization Center (OIC) Program Services
- St. Vincent Centers emergency services and food bank
- Yakima Rotary Food Bank
- ParentHelp123 Resource Finder
- Need Help Paying Bills resource site
- Map to Child Care in Yakima