Apply to PNWU
The application process begins 15 months before matriculation. Please review PNWU-COM's admission requirements.
PNWU-COM accepts 135 students for each new class of osteopathic medical students. PNWU-COM uses a "rolling admissions" process. Offers of admission are made from the first interview until the class is full. It is strongly recommended to apply early.
The PNWU-COM Admissions Committee will consider applications from all qualified individuals; however, in order to meet the mission of the College of Osteopathic Medicine, preference is given to applicants from Alaska, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Washington, and rural and/or medically underserved areas of the country.
The major criteria for rating applicants are academic excellence, commitment to osteopathic primary care, commitment to practice medicine in an underserved area, and personal characteristics.
- Begin the primary application through AACOMAS
- PNWU-COM begins reviewing AACOMAS applications and emails invitations for applicants to begin the supplemental application
- Submit required letters of recommendation thru the AACOMAS evaluation process
- Monitor your application status with AACOMAS and PNWU-COM
- PNWU-COM begins emailing invitations to interview
October - April
- On-campus interviews begin and admission offers are made until the class is full
- Last day to submit an AACOMAS application
- Last day to submit a supplemental application
The application to PNWU-COM begins by submitting a primary application through the American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine Application Services (AACOMAS). Applicants designate PNWU-COM to receive your application.
A verification of the information provided on the application will take place. This may take as much as 30 days or longer. PNWU-COM will receive the application only after the verification is complete by AACOMAS. Applicants should review the AACOMAS instructions and FAQ to assist them in submitting their application properly.
AACOMAS applications without MCAT scores will not be processed by PNWU, and could be denied. If you apply without your MCAT scores and get denied, Contact Enrollment Services once your AACOMAS application has been updated with an MCAT score to reactivate your application.
In light of AACOM’s policy change regarding repeat coursework, PNWU-COM would like to reiterate the following:
- In accordance with past and current policy, PNWU-COM does not recalculate any of the information provided by AACOMAS.
- Both PNWU admissions and the selection committee will continue to review applicants in a holistic manner, recognizing that GPA is only one of many factors in the selection process.
- If you have any questions regarding your specific situation, we strongly encourage prospective applicants to contact their pre-medical/pre-health advisor, or a PNWU admissions counselor at ude.uwnp@noissimda or 509.249.7888
An email invitation to complete a supplemental (secondary) application will be sent to selected applicants after the primary application has been received and reviewed. Check your junk email mail folder to ensure emails from PNWU-COM are being received.
The supplemental application essay is an opportunity to highlight specific or additional reasons you should be selected for an interview. A nonrefundable supplemental application fee of $85 is required at time of submission. The fee is paid online using a bank account, credit, or debit card.
- Requests for a supplemental application fee waiver must be submitted to ude.uwnp@noissimda and will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
- applicant must meet the AACOMAS fee waiver eligibility
- submit a written request for a supplemental application fee waiver
- submit supporting documentation, federal tax return
Letters of Recommendation
A letter of recommendation is required from each of the following sources:
- a physician (preferably a DO who is a member of the AOA)
- a science faculty member who is familiar with the applicant’s undergraduate academic work
- Non-traditional students who have taken time off between undergraduate and post graduate studies may use science professors in their graduate program to meet the science faculty recommendation requirement.
- a pre-medical source (a pre-medical advisor or committee)
- Individuals serving in the military may use a supervisor, such as a commanding officer to meet the pre-medical source requirement.
- If your college or university does not provide pre-medical advisor or committee letter, an additional science faculty member or physician letter may be substituted.
PNWU-COM does not have a standardized recommendation form. All recommendations should be on official letter head, signed, and dated by the writer. Recommendations must be written within two years prior to your application.
Recommendations may be submitted using Evaluations in the AACOMAS application, the US Postal Service, or fax. PNWU-COM will accept up to three additional letters of recommendation from other sources such as employers, researchers, etc. These additional letters may not be used to substitute for the three required letters.
The interview day is an opportunity for PNWU to get to know you and for you to get to know PNWU. Opportunities to communicate directly with faculty, staff, and current students will be provided. The dress for this day is professional. The interview day includes:
- an informational session
- multiple individual interviews (MMI)
- a campus tour
- a group activity
- an osteopathic manipulative medicine demonstration
- a light lunch
Contact Enrollment Services at 509.249.7888 or at ude.uwnp@noissimda if you are traveling with family or friends and would like a tour at the end of the interview day.